Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sonic Opens in South Bend

I drove on Portage Avenue today, north of Cleveland Road, heading to Applebee's to pick up Carside to Go lunch.

I guess it's been a while since I've been that way because I totally missed the Sonic building going up.

I seem to recall seeing the ground being broken for it a few months ago. Not being a big fast-food fan, it sort of slipped my mind that it was even coming.

But, seeing the Sonic Drive In there today, in all it's shiny new paint glory, I'm kind of excited about checking it out.

According to Heidi Prescott, the South Bend Tribune journalist in the know about all things retail, Sonic isn't supposed to open until June 9. But, as this photo clearly shows, they were open for lunch today. Maybe it was a soft-launch for the workers???

Looks like they still have a few finishing touches to complete -- like landscaping (note the big pile of sod and stack of Miracle Grow potting soil bags).

Update: As of June 12, they are not open to the public. They do have the driveway blocked and the people eating there must be employees.

No comments: