Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sonic is Open in South Bend

Sonic has finally opened on Portage Avenue in South Bend. Actually, it opened yesterday (June 16), but I wasn't in the area so for me, it opened today.

There were about 40 cars lined up waiting to enter the Sonic parking lot. I parked next door, at the KFC, and walked up to the car-less patron ordering area. The old guy behind me in line was very confused by the whole process. He had parked across the street in the TCU parking lot and walked across. I showed him how the walk-up ordering system worked -- you press the big red "ORDER HERE" button on the menu box in the front of the restaurant. He asked me where you pay and I flashed him my debit card and showed him the slot. That was enough to push him over the edge. He let out a big moan and said, "What in the world is going on here??? What sort of Mickey Mouse place is this?" And, he turned and walked away.


After I ordered, I walked up to the big, waving Sonic cup and said, "Hi Sonic guy!" The cup slowly turned, scrunched into a scowl, and said, "I'm a girl."

Some of the Sonic car hops wear roller skates. The more coordinated food delivery staffers wear rollerblades.

I wonder if Sonic pays extra to have the Heinz Ketchup packets personalized or if they buy so much Ketchup that Heinz adds the Sonic name for free. The salt packet and the star mint packages were also personalized with the Sonic name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats the address? I want to go.

Purple Rose of Sharon said...

Frank,
I don't know the exact address but if you take Portage Avenue north of Cleveland Road, you'll see it on the right. Just across the street from Wal-Mart.