Sunday, June 22, 2008

Garden Fence

This weekend's project was fence installation.

The plan was to put the fence along the east properly line that runs between our back garden and the junk behind our neighbor's shed.

Menards delivered the six fence panels and seven 4x4 posts a couple of weeks ago and they've been sitting in our driveway just waiting their turn to come up on our list of landscaping projects.

We had two bags of gravel and seven 60 pound bags of cement to transport from the driveway to the back garden area.

Bruce had the brilliant idea to hitch the wagon up to the tractor and haul the supplies, rather than trying to carry them.

That was a huge labor saver.


Bruce is an absolute master post hole digger. He had to dig seven holes, each two feet deep.


When I looked down the first hole I was amazed that it was geometrically perfect with totally flat sides and bottom.

I've never been involved in a post hole digging project so I just assumed the hole would be sort of the shape of the post hole digger.









As the sous carpenter, my job was holding the posts to make sure they stayed level while Bruce added the quick set cement.






This is me, relaxing in the Adirondack chair admiring the (nearly) finished fence.

As soon as I get a few copper fence post caps, we'll cut off the tops of the posts to even them up with the fence and then we'll be finished.

All of our planning and measurements were based on a 6' high fence. We didn't even notice, until we brought the first fence panel back to the garden, it was only 5'4".

Next I'll have to fill in between the hostas and ferns with some red wood chip mulch.

I'm pretty sure that, if we had a swimming pool, I wouldn't sit around thinking up these landscape projects. I'd be too busy floating and soaking up the sun.

No comments: