Saturday, July 5, 2008

Frank's Joy Ride

Tonight was the annual Frank's Joy Ride concert. Just as promised on their website, it was a night of super charged roadhouse rock. Although all grown up now with responsible jobs and wonderful families, Doug (IT professional) and Tim (2nd grade teacher) and their band mates make the trek back to Lafayette once a year to cut loose and rock on.

Thanks so much for the entertainment guys, we had an absolute blast!

It's not very often that I'm out in public, listening to a great band and suddenly feel compelled to dance. But, once a year I just can't control my happy feet and it happens. I make a complete fool of myself while having the time of my life. Aren't I lucky that my loving husband was there with the camera to document the event. Dan, a professionally trained dancer (he took dance lessons right before he married Deanna so he wouldn't trip up during their first dance together), made me look like I half-way knew what I was doing on the dance floor.

Just shy of their second wedding anniversary, my Goddaughter, Tabitha, with her husband Eric, share a dance to one of the few slow Frank's Joy Ride songs.

Kelly thanks Tim for bringing food to 11 starving people. Bruce, and I, along with Tim, Wes, Jenna and Colt had dinner at Arni's Loading Dock in Market Square before the show. I grew up on Arni's pizza and, to this day, have not tasted a pizza that I like better. Not to mention their Junior Salad that somehow tastes fresher than any other restaurant salad.

Dave called my cell phone in a panic around 5:30pm asking if I knew that everyone else was planning to eat at the Tick Tock before the show. I actually did know that, but I had my taste buds set on Arni's so I just asked Dave to save us a few seats for the concert. About an hour later, Kelly called to tell me that the kitchen at the Tick Tock was closed for the evening. So, we ordered three large pizzas and a few Junior Salads for takeout. It was funny to see all of them in the Tick Tock restaurant waiting for us to deliver them food from Arni's.

Dave Stoike is now the lead singer of Big Willie and the Naked Bus Drivers. When we were in school, Dave recorded a few songs that appeared on the Bob & Tom show. We always knew he'd be famous.
Eric and his uncle-in-law, Marc, share a bonding moment.

Here's Heather rocking out at the kids' table while Mom and Dad watch over her. Most of the kids (Tab, Eric, Heather, Travis, Wes and Jenna) are over 21 now so it was nice that they were able to join us at the show. Colt, Jerry's youngest boy, is not yet of legal age to be in a club so he joined us for dinner at Arni's, but not for the concert.

The Cheese Guys -- my brother Mike and Dave's brother Marc. I never take good candid people photos so I usually say, "Cheese Guys" to get the attention of my photo subjects.

Bruce and I in our cool shades. We've never been the type of couple to dress in matching clothing. But, now that I see this photo, it looks like we color coordinated this evening.

Rick, Kelly and Dan remembering old times and making new memories.

Randy and Janelle made the trip over from Ohio for the show. Together they've raised six kids... and they still look like kids themselves. Randy has a rewarding career in the Air Force. Following retirement after 20 years of active duty, he's now a citizen employee of the Air Force. He still won't tell us the real secret about the happenings at Area 51.

Dave, Dan and Rick threw the best parties during the summers of our college years. Dave and Rick lived together in a house on 52 south of Lafayette and Dan's grandmother had a farm not too far down the road. I can still remember hearing Dan's grandmother yelling from the house, "Danny, are there girls out there???" We were a group of giggly girls back then.

Randy reminded me of our bottle rocket battle at Dave & Rick's house where one of the fireworks went right under the car of the Police Officer who was called out because our music was too loud.

It's no surprise that our friendships have remained strong even after so many years and with so many miles between us all.

Dan, Rick and Cindy haven't been seen together for years. I think the last time I saw Rick was at a wedding more than 20 years ago. He's now upstanding citizen of the state of Minnesota.

Yes, a few of the old crowd were not there to share the festivities with us tonight, and we missed them all. But, there's always next year so book your plane tickets early -- as soon as Tim and Doug schedule the Frank's Joy Ride concert for 2009.

No comments: