Saturday, May 17, 2008

Blood Donation Gone Wrong

I got up very early this morning to head out to the blood drive at Veldman's Service Center in South Bend.

They were offering a free oil change and car wash to everyone who donated blood.

Since they are my regular mechanics, and I haven't donated blood in a while, I thought it would be a worth the 30 mile drive out to the west side of South Bend.

They had quite a lot of people turn out for the blood drive so I was there from 7:30-9:30am.

The first nurse had some trouble finding a vein in my left arm and when she finally found it, she turned the needle to get a better flow and the needle must have pushed up against a nerve because it hurt A LOT!

She pulled out the needle and patched up the hole while I offered up my other arm for a try. She called in another nurse because she didn't want to hurt me again.

The second nurse found a vein in my right arm right away and blood was flowing pretty good, but all of a sudden, it stopped.

She called over another nurse to see what was causing the problem and it turned out that there was a knot in the tube. With no way to get the knot out, with the needle in my arm, she had no choice but to remove the needle.

I guess they have a limit of two needle sticks per blood donor because she didn't want to attempt it again.

The bad part was that my donation attempt wasted two blood bags. The good part was they still gave me a free oil change and car wash. Plus, they gave me a t-shirt. Normally I don't wear t-shirts with writing on the front, but since I really need more t-shirts for working out at Curves, I happily accepted it.

No comments: