Saturday, February 23, 2008

What's for lunch?

Sammiches.... yummmmm!



When I was a kid, in Catholic grade school, we didn't have a cafeteria and had to take our lunch to school. Every day my mom would make us each a bologna sammich, on white bread, with Miracle Whip.

The best part was that the sammich, carefully enclosed in an Alligator Baggie, would get nice and soft and warm and squished below an apple or a Little Debbie treat, as it sat in a paper lunch bag on the shelf in the coat room.


Squished flat, with the crusts carefully ripped off, was my favorite way to enjoy my daily bologna sammich.

One day, dad made our lunches because mom was in the hospital recovering from surgery. Imagine my surprise when I bit into my bologna sammich and, instead of the yummy Miracle Whip I expected to taste between the bologna and the bread, I tasted butter. Yuch... who would even think of putting butter on a bologna sammich. Dad's defense was that he liked butter on his sammiches because it helped the bread slide down the throat. And, he thought we'd like it, too.

Thinking about odd condiments on sammiches, hubby Bruce made me an egg sammich one morning... one of my favorite, yet seldom eaten breaksfasts. My favorite way to make these is with one fried egg with a slice of cheese and a little salt and pepper on white bread. As I was driving to work, I bit into the sammich made with love and tasted something very wrong. I spit out the bite and, when I reached the stop sign on CR 22, I opened the sammich to investigate the odd taste. It was Miracle Whip. Big yuch! Who eats Miracle Whip on an egg sammich??? Guess what his reasoning was... "makes it slide down the throat easier."

No comments: