Sunday, July 15, 2007

Couldn't Ask for a Nicer Day


We stopped at Shirk's farm market at County Roads 36 and 13 in Elkhart yesterday and bought some tomatoes, hot peppers and cantaloupe.


A 1940's GMC truck drove by and made me feel like we'd warped back in time.


Today, we had Grandma over for lunch and made BLTs, using the Shirk's tomatoes, and a giant fruit salad with cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries (from our garden), grapes, pineapple and nectarines.


After lunch, I checked the pantry and saw I had the ingredients on hand to make zucchini bread... all except for baking soda.

A quick call to neighbor Lea solved
that problem. I grated two of the three zucchini I picked from the garden this morning. The third was given to former neighbor Judy. She gave us a plate of oatmeal raisin cookies from the batch she was baking to make her house smell good for today's open house. We made one large loaf of zucchini bread and 10 small loaves -- one went to neighbor Lea as thank you for the missing ingredient.

We took Gran
dma on a garden tour in the late afternoon.

She's not been out back to see the veggie garden since just after it was planted in May.

She was especially impressed with the zinnias.

She always had beautiful gardens. In fact, she was the person who rescued me from the first tomato worm I discovered in my first vegetable garden, about 20 years ago. I called her in a panic about this monster that was eating my tomatoes. She came over and plucked it off one of the plants, and with her thumb, popped it in half.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your garden is amazing. I can't even see the raised beds due to all the greenery.

I brought a new tropical plant home yesterday from the Farmer's Market. It's called a Swamp Hibiscus and has huge red flowers. The leaves look just like a plant which creates a mind-altering substance when it is dried and smoked! The guy at the market said I shouldn't drive with the plant out my window or I'd be arrested :)