Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympics

I've been watching quite a bit of NBC's coverage of the Olympics lately. A few observations...

It's easy for me to shout, "oops" when a gymnast makes a slight wobble, but I know there's no way that I could even lift my own weight up onto an uneven parallel bar, much less flip around one.

Shawn Johnson has a million dollar smile and is as cute as a button. I'm sure we'll see her on a box of Wheaties soon.

Nastia Liukin should not get as many endorsements as Shawn Johnson, even if she is a better gymnast, because she often has a nasty scowl on her face.

It was very sad to watch her father speaking to a judge about the tie-breaker scoring instead of watching her receive her medal.

And, I thought it was sort of creepy that her dad kissed her on the mouth after every performance.


Watching Eli and Peyton Manning play Hungry Hungry Hippo in the NBC football commercials makes it worthwhile to stick around to actually watch the commercials.

I was disgusted by the pompous behavior of Jamaican runner, Usain Bolt -- thumping his chest and declaring himself the winner, before he even crossed the finish line, during the 100 meter dash.

Watching the NBA superstars play basketball at the Olympics is much more exciting than watching a typical game because they play hard. I seem to recall the 2004 Dream Team biting the dust because they took their normal lackadaisical game to the Olympics.

No matter how high the divers score, I can never tell if they're perfectly straight when entering the water.

Dara Torres, the 41 year old female swimmer, gives hope to middle-aged women everywhere. But, somehow I don't think that my semi-weekly 30-minute workouts at Curves will get me anywhere near as in-shape as Dara.

1 comment:

Joe and Tammy Ward said...

I love you Blog. You so funny and so specific in your stories it makes the reader feel as he/she is with you during the event. You should really consider being a writer!!