Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lunchtime Excitement

I jumped on the bypass today to head to the south side of town to meet Cheryl for lunch. As I was passing under the Nimtz Parkway overpass bridge I heard a large crash and as I looked to my left, saw a semi truck as it crashed into the center support of the bridge.

The crash wasn't head-on, it was sort of a side scrape -- I saw lots of cement dust flying off the bridge and the back-end of the semi come flying off. It was one of those semis that hauls cars, but it was not loaded (luckily).

I called 911 and suggested the police might want to check to make sure the bridge wasn't in danger of collapsing.

When I got back to the office after lunch, I checked the local newspaper's website and they already had the new blurb posted.

South Bend Tribune

Semi strikes Parkway overpass at Toll Road

Tribune Staff Report

South Bend Police are responding to the scene of a semi-truck accident on the St. Joseph Parkway (U.S. 31) at the Indiana Toll Road overpass.

According to a spokesman for the police department, the semi struck part of the overpass and knocked away some of the masonry.

There was no word on whether there were injuries, or whether the road would be closed.

No comments: