Friday, January 25, 2008

Unlikely Suspect

I made it to work safely this morning. Still have the worthless windshield wiper arms/blades, but there was no slush on the bypass this morning so visibility wasn't an issue.

I was sitting at my desk, eating my breakfast oatmeal, answering , filling, deleting all of the overnight emails when my cell phone rang. "Hello, this is ADT, and we have an alarm event at your home. We've alerted the police, can you meet them there?"

Crap, I live 30 minutes from work. Hubby started his new job today so he couldn't run home to check it out. "Yes, I'll meet them there. Which zone alarm is going off? The family room? Oh, that can't be good." Zipped off a "my whereabouts" email to co-workers, packed up work and headed home.

Hard to concentrate on driving when you're imagining someone in your house, rooting through all your stuff. Finally made it home. Police had come and gone -- that's a good sign -- unless they were in a hurry to get the burglars behind bars.

Quick check of the doors and windows, nothing open; nothing broken. No stuff missing, nothing out of order. Just a few tufts of Spike hair on the floor. That's odd. Whole tufts of hair???

I called ADT to get the scoop. They didn't know what caused the alarm event. Do I have a dog? Yea, sure a little 30 pound dog that sleeps 99% of the time. Well, there's your answer. Your dog set off the motion detector.

That's never happened before. He must have made a jump of Olympic proportions. What the heck would get him that worked up? To not only jump high enough to set off the alarm, but to also make two tufts of hair detach from his body and thrust themselves onto the floor in an angry manner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows what goes on when we're away...could have been a wild dog party. Heck Spike may have even invited some cats-thus the tufts were misplaced by said cats, of course! - gg