Thursday, January 3, 2008

Passive Aggressive Snow Plow Driver

Yesterday I worked from home because the snow in our cul-de-sac had not been plowed.

My neighbor got her car stuck in it. I wasn't willing to risk getting my huge van stuck because it would be too hard to get it un-stuck.


Late in the afternoon I called the highway department to remind them that, although they plowed the main road through our subdivision, they neglected to plow out the cul-de-sac.

Bruce spent several hours last night plowing me a path from our driveway to the main road so I could go into the office today.

Tonight when I arrived home, I was greeted by this 10-foot-high mound of snow, neatly piled at the end of my driveway by the passive aggressive snow plow driver.

Luckily, there's just enough room to drive around this pile to get into my driveway. But, the second pile of snow that he pushed in front of my mail box will surely tick off the mail lady. Last year she got out of her car to put a note in our mail box that she wouldn't deliver the mail until we cleared the snow from in front of the mail box. Another passive aggressive service person. Nothing of much importance comes via snail mail anyway, now that Christmas card season is over.

This happened once last winter -- a huge pile of snow appearing in the middle of our cul-de-sac. The plow driver had come through overnight sometime because when I went to bed there wasn't a big pile of snow in the middle of the cul-de-sac, but when I backed my van out of the driveway the next morning, I drove right into it.

It was early morning, still dark, and my van's rear windows were caked with road salt. The white snow around the yard and in the road all blended together so I didn't even notice the snow pile. I was going faster than normal backing up because I expected I'd need to be going pretty fast to drive through the cul-de-sac and get to the main road. So, I ended up pretty deep into the snow pile by the time my van came to a stop. It took me, one of my neighbors and two of his kids a long time to dig me out. That evening I baked them some cookies as a thank you. Without their help, I would have had a hard time of it.

No comments: