Thursday, January 17, 2008

Clapton: The Autobiography


I just finished reading Eric Clapton's autobiography. I've always liked his music, but never knew anything about his life.

Much of it is what you'd expect to hear about a rock star's life, but told in a rather humble manner.

I appreciated that he didn't boast of his many conquests, drug-taking, and boozing, but chose instead to include a few stories that included these things in almost an apologetic manner. I'd have to guess his motivation for that was knowing, eventually, his daughters will read the book.

He seems to be in a good place in life now; content with his family and sobriety, and helping others struggling with addictions through his Crossroads Centre facility in Antigua.

Here's an excerpt of the book that I came across tonight.

If you're thinking about reading this, I'd recommend the audio version instead. It's read by an Englishman so it seems like you're listening to EC tell his own story.

Check out the video below for a reminder of how awesome his music was, and still is today.

1 comment:

Isorski said...

Cool review. I bet hearing the audiobook is a real kick. Just reading the words, I could almost hear him talk, because he wrote it so conversationally. I agree that the book has "humble" written all over it, and he for sure leaves no stone unturned. Speaking of, check out "Ronnie" by Ron Wood of the Stones. It's very similar in its tone and story.

I wrote a review of "Clapton" at http://isorski.blogspot.com/. Check it out!