Sunday, June 24, 2007

Summer of Fun Activities - June 22 - 24


In my quest to enjoy this summer outdoors, I've come up with a list of "summer of fun" activities, including many free or low-cost events throughout the South Bend - Elkhart area.

Cheryl and I met up with friends Kelly and Lula at Fridays by the Fountain where we enjoyed lunch at The Vine while we listened to Irish music by Kennedy's Kitchen.





On Friday evening I participated in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Lafayette with many members of my family. Cousin Tammy organized the team and has a great recap of the ACS event on her blog.

My father passed away from cancer in 1991. Both of his parents, my maternal grandmother, and my father-in-law also died of cancer.

Here, Uncle Rick, dad's younger brother, walks in the survivor's lap. He had lung cancer about a year ago. After a long and very difficult recovery, we are all very grateful to have him back in good heath.







On Saturday, I stopped by the Heritage Square Art Fair. The original plan was to visit Cheryl and hang out at her place on the lake, but the weather did not cooperate.
While at Heritage Square, I shopped at the new Martin's Supermarket which is very nice. They have a wonderful seafood department so I bought some walleye and corn on the cob for Sunday dinner.






Saturday evening, Bruce and I went to the Elkhart Jazz Festival where we met up with friends Mardy and Terry.


Sunday was spent around the house. I cleaned out the small water garden and bird bath; added some fencing to the bottom of the arbor for the clematis' to grab onto; repaired some leaky hoses; Bruce replaced the rollers on the bottom of the patio screen door; and together we watched the hummingbirds, woodpeckers, finches and lightning bugs.
All in all, it was a great "summer of fun" weekend.








No comments: