Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Look What the Storm Left Behind

When I left for work this morning, it was pouring down rain. According to the trusty frog rain gauge, we received a full inch. As sis-in-law, Gretchen, said, "The plants aren't fooled by the sprinkler; they know real rain when they get it."

The tomatoes and green peppers are showing strong signs of growth. No jalapenos yet, but they really shot up today. I still have a few jars of them left from last year's garden.









I pulled the last of the radishes today. Now I need to decide whether I should plant
more seeds or just wait until cooler weather comes around.
















The green beans are coming along nicely. I haven't removed the protective Solo cups yet, although the plants are just a bit taller than the lip of the cups now.



The cauliflower hasn't started forming yet, but the leaves are HUGE.












The flowering cabbage is looking nice an
d purple. It's more for decoration than anything.





And, finally, the first clematis bloom! I planted four of them below the arbor, but the hostas I planted next to them aren't doing a good enough job of shading, so three aren't growing very quickly.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clematis like water, lots of it, and shade on their roots. Also, try stapling a foot of chicken wire to the bottom of your arbor so the Clematis has something to grab onto - sometimes they don't like the pretreated lumber. Tammy