Thursday, June 21, 2007

Patio Strawberries

The patio strawberries are getting pretty big. These were transplanted from former neighbor Judy's garden after she moved. I went shopping for a strawberry pot, but the garden center wanted $47. That seemed a bit expensive so I kept shopping. The trusty Rural King store had the same pot for $25.

Before planting, I cut a 3/4" diameter PVC pipe 17" long (2" higher than the pot) and had hubby Bruce drill small holes all over it. I put a PVC cap on the bottom end and then put the dirt raound it and planted the plants in the holes and on top. Now, I can water down the PVC pipe and all of the plants get wet. If you don't do it this way, when you try to water the individual plants, in their individual holes, the dirt washes out.

Now, even better is to fill the PVC pipe with tiny gravel. That way the water makes it to the top of the pipe while you're watering. As soon as we clean the aquarium, I'm going to use that old gravel in the pipe and put new gravel in with the fish.



No comments: