Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Everything Is On Sale... Nobody Is Buying

Seems like I get about 10 emails a day from every major retailer with coupons and incentives to buy their stuff. Well, listen up guys, I don't need anything.

I need to pay my mortgage and utilities and buy food and gas for my van. Other than that, I'm not spending unless it's something I really, really need. And, it's very doubtful that something I really need is on sale at Macys or JCPenney or even Kohls. My next major purchase will be a root canal and I'm even planning that out to coincide with the availability of my insurance benefits.

I really don't have any idea how the US economy is going to improve. It seems we've reached a point where we need to reinvent ourselves and redefine our way of life.

I saw a segment on the news tonight about unemployed RV workers being retrained in the information technology field. That makes sense to me. But, where are all these newly trained IT executives going to work? Many of the large corporations in this area are now out of business.

I'm pretty sure that the Big 3 automakers are in real trouble because they were still geared up to make and sell gas guzzlers to over indulgent consumers, without anticipating that fuel-efficient cars would be needed sooner rather than later.

I don't have any answers... for now I'm just squirreling away my pennies and hoping for a brighter tomorrow.

No comments: