Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Full Moon Rise

I can't remember if I took this photo over the weekend or earlier this week. Darned short term memory fails me again. Anyway... it was a beautiful full moon. But, as I expected even as I squeezed the camera's shutter, I just don't have the photography skills necessary to capture the essence of the view.

This does remind me that I need to put out some feelers in the scientific community to see if I can find someone who can help me develop my eyeball camera idea.

You know how you can see something, and wish you could capture it, but as with me and the full moon, you know that a photo just wouldn't do it justice.

Well, imagine there was a camera inserted into your brain and just by blinking your eyes while making a clicking sound with your mouth, you could capture the image you were focused on as you blinked. Then, you could download the image from your brain to your computer (or even to a kiosk at your nearby one-hour photo lab). And, the resulting print would be a perfect reproduction of the original object of your focus.

Beyond the ability to perfectly reproduce anything you lay your eyes on, this would have the added benefit of allowing you to take photos when whipping out your camera isn't convenient or safe (like when driving down the highway at 65mph).

I'm not really bothered by the thought of having a camera inserted into my brain because I saw my dog get a microchip inserted into his neck and it didn't bother him a bit. So, I'm sure after the initial pinprick of the insertion device, I wouldn't even notice the camera inside my head.

Let me know if you know any scientists you think would be interested in helping me out with this. It would be great if I could get it ready in time for Christmas.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, what a great idea. Can you think what this might mean if we could also supply a camera chip for cats, dogs, bovine critters, horses and all?

About your photo of the moon; most cameras actually reduce the image you see, 'cause they're set up for people taking shots of other people lined up on the sofa, or people at parties and so on. So most shooting lenses are slightly wide-angle to include more of the scene. That's why the moon looks so dinky. Best thing for taking a pic of the full moon is a telephoto lens, or a zoom that goes to at least 85 mm.

I heard about a guy who made up a video device, something like a miner's light, and strapped it to his forehead so he could record himself coming and going. I guess with something like that you could offload the images, run your moon picture into Photoshop, and enlarge it. If you're recording at a high enough resolution, you might even get a few moon craters. Think how you might intimidate a cop if you got stopped for some driving infraction. "Smile! You're on candid camera!".

- Ann