Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Custom Made Totem Pole in Elkhart Indiana

Driving home from work today I heard a story on the radio about a man in western Indiana who won over $50 million on the Hoosier lottery. Wow... how cool would that be! He is a retired steel worker who plans to put the money to use helping his church and his family. I hope the man has a trusted financial adviser. How sad it would be for him and his family to get overwhelmed by sudden wealth and end up like the Florida lottery winner who turned to drugs and ended up living in a rental storage unit.

Then I got to thinking that I should buy a lottery ticket. Surely I would be able to make good decisions and do good things with the money. So, I drove over to the nearby convenience store to buy a couple of chances in tonight's drawing.

As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed the scaffolding was gone from around the tree at the business behind the convenience store. And, the custom-carved totem pole is now complete. I walked over and saw a man packing the scaffolding in his truck. He was the artist, Doug, out of Wakarusa. He doesn't carve for a living, but it's his passion.

The finished totem pole is a very unique sign for the business Boulderman. So, the next time you need a custom-carved totem pole, stop by Boulderman on Ash Road on the county line between Osceola and Elkhart and ask them how to get in touch with the artist.



No comments: